Thursday, August 20, 2026

Tragedy


It´s been a month since I posted, and what a month. Three weeks ago, I woke up to a bumch of missed calls and found out that my father had been in a serious motorcycle accident. Let me stress that my father is an excellent motoryclist - he´s very good at defenisve driving and, to my knowledge, had not had an accident in the entire 65 years that he has been riding. But a large deer hurling itself in front of your motorcycle is a disaster, and he ended up with many broken bones and internal injuries. 

I immediately flew home, where I joined my mother and brother spending a lot of time in the ICU. He was slowly improving after a week, so then I flew back to Spain to join my friends in watching the eclipse. However, then things were looking worse, so I immediately flew back. (That trip involved three legs and 32 hours, but it was worth it.) My dad was a healthy and strong person when this happened, but spending three weeks in the ICU, which regular health crises and many, many procedures has made him quite fragile. It´s not clear how this will all play out, but I am confident that he is receiving really excellent care and I am so glad that I do not have a job so that I can spend time with my family now. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continuing to keep your dad, you and your family in my thoughts love. Lx

Sue said...

Oh my ! A serious consequence.We will pray for skilled nurses and physicians and those supporting him.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about this turn. Thinking of you and your family.

alexis said...

lots of love, thinking of you

Anonymous said...

Glad you are able to be there to help. Great to see you in Spain!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that last comment was me! Jon