Sunday, January 13, 2019

Pizza

Every now and then I decide to get really good at cooking something: tortes, English fried breakfasts, no-knead bread. Mainly I improve by doing it over and over, and lately pizza has been my target. I've already established that I should stick with marinara sauce, since pesto is too dry. I use pretty nice mozzarella, although perhaps not enough. But I can't get the super-elastic, crispy in the middle, chewy at the edge, crust that I want. I've heard that letting the dough rest is important, so the last batch was split: I baked one half after 24 hours and one half after five days. I didn't notice a huge difference, and neither was elastic.

Even mediocre pizza is good pizza, of course, but I'd sure like to get this right. I'm using a pizza stone and a bit of vital wheat gluten. Do any of my readers have suggestions?

5 comments:

Shaela said...

No suggestions based on actual expertise - my homemade crusts always vary in thickness too much, so some spots are crispy, some chewy, some burned. Have you tried different flours?

alexis said...

the only thing I can suggest is to invest in some super high quality wheat flour. Although you are already adding wheat gluten so I am not sure why that wouldn't work just as well. I know my parents went to a pasta making course in Italy and came back converted to the Church of Expensive Italian Flour for certain foods.

Bummer the 5 days didn't have much difference. On the plus side - it still worked!

de-I said...

Aunt G has a killer dough recipe - slow rise - that has become our standard and gets great results. And yes though we use supper wonderful imported flour for pasta, for pizza she just uses a good quality US bread flour. It is the slow rise that seems to be the key. Ask her for it and she will send it on after we get back.

Gill - UK said...

I have no problem with pizza since I discovered a family run Italian Restaurant - but that is cheating I suppose.

Denise AnneMarie said...

Are you heating up the pizza stone for at least a half an hour -- that helps my pizza crust to be crisper. Sometimes I even put the oven temperature to the hottest temperature and then turn it down when I put the pizza in. As far as resting the dough I usually let mine rest for at least 20 minutes which does help. Sometimes I also cook the dough for about 10 minutes before adding sauce and toppings. Your pizza looks yummy by the way!