Monday, October 16, 2006

A weekend with no physics



This weekend was our getaway weekend - designed either to allow Andrew and I to celebrate in style, or to run from the crowd so I could cry in peace, depending on the results of the oral exam. As you all know, the oral went great, so we were celebrating.

I made all the plans, and surprised Andrew. He knew that we were going to Virginia, but not more than that. I dropped numerous, but hopefully confusing hints, just to keep him interested. And I made him stay blindfolded for the last hour of the trip. (A friend of ours pointed out that before this, he'd never heard of a sitatuion involving a blindfolded person in a car that didn't end badly :)

I got us reservations at a bed and breakfast in Winchester, Virginia, which is at the northwestern tip of Virginia. The apple capital of the world, they claimed. We did, in fact, see a fair number of apple orchards, but not once did we see somewhere to buy apples, which was a bit disappointing.

On Saturday we wandered around the historic part of the town. I dragged Andrew into about a dozen kitchy giftshops - the kind filled with figurines, scented soap, and plaques with sickeningly sweet sayings. Normally, I, too, hate these shops, but the cool, crisp weather put me in mind of the approaching holiday season and I was looking for gifts. Although, come to think of it, I don't have any friends who appreciate plaques with cute sayings.

We had a terrific meal in the evening, which I will detail in the next (foodie) blog post, and on Sunday we went canoeing on the Shenandoah. All the posted pictures are from that. The weather was just picture perfect: a clear, brilliantly blue sky and hills covered with trees that are just starting to show their color. It was a very easy canoe trip, as they had allotted us far too much time between drop off and pick up, so we stretched it out by drifting for long periods of time. We also found that Andrew can propel and steer a canoe on his own, leaving me in the front to read the Sunday paper. This is the perfect outdoor activity for us: unlike hiking, I don't have to exert any physical effort, we can both enjoy the scenery, and Andrew is happy that I'm doing something outdoors with him. He did point out that it would be easier to just get a rowboat next time, if he's going to do all the rowing himself.

I've only stayed in a bed and breakfast once, and I was keen to do it again. They cost a fair bit more than a hotel, but you feel so pampered. The house was large and there was lots to do right there, including wandering the grounds with their resident cat (who Andrew instantly fell in love with), a cozy library, a rec room with a variety of movies and a pinball machine, and a jacuzzi that we never even found time to use. We were also served a three course breakfast each morning. And let me tell you, three courses is a lot to face at nine in the morning. Still, we did our best, and soaked up as much enjoyment as we could in two days.

So, now I return to my work rested, relaxed, and hopefully ready to research. (How's that for an alliterative sentence?)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, and you even had sunshine! I have tried numerous times to get John to a B&B. He doesn't like to interact w/strangers.:(

Anonymous said...

Stef, neither does Andrew. He just sat there quietly and ate his breakfast, and I did all the talking. I think the comfy sheets and heated bathroom made up for the risk that he might have to talk to a stranger.

Anonymous said...

Where did you rent the canoe?

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful! I read your post and was inspired to make applesauce. Unfortunately we don't have apple farms here so it's not as tasty as the apples you could have gotten your hands on.

Anonymous said...

Jonny - the canoe was from Front Royal Canoe, which is in Front Royal (I know, where did thy come up with their company name?), which is about an hour and a half from College Park.

Alexis, note the "could have gotten your hands on" - I only have theoretical tasty applesauce, and you have actual applesauce. Still, 'tis the season for apples.