Friday, January 12, 2007

Success in Seattle

I have just returned from my first academic conference, which was in Seattle. I gave a talk there and although it was only eight minutes long, I was thirty-minutes-long nervous. I am greatly relieved to report, however, that it went smoothly. I didn't trip over any cords, I didn't forget what I was talking about, and nobody came up to me afterwards and said, "What the heck were you thinking!" I count that as a success.

Seattle was terrific, as always. I wish I could live in that city someday, but (due to career considerations) it's pretty unlikely. I love the food (in just four days I ate excellent crepes, good burritos, and pastries and Russian filled buns down by Pike Street Market), I love being in a big city, and I enjoy the water and the mountains that surround the city. I do not, however, enjoy wearing Gore-tex or fleece, so perhaps it's just as well that I ended up in Maryland.

In other news, on the plane I was given apple-flavored applesauce. Who thought that one up? Now apple sauce isn't apple-y enough?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also love Seattle! Considering I'm already doing time in one rainy city, however, I might think twice about moving there one day.

Congrats on your academic debut, that's really something!

Matty Lau said...

Congrats on your first public presentation! I knew you were a public speakin' rock star!

Apple flavored applesauce....hmmm, must be those special flavorless apples. All the latest rage in haute cafeteria and industrial cuisines!