Thursday, December 11, 2008

Kibbles vs. livers

My cat eats homemade food. This means that about once a month I chuck a great deal of meat, a tub of chicken livers and some assorted vitamins (actual recipe here, in case you're interested) and boil it until everything is mushy. A quick spin in the food processor and the freezer is filled with homemade goodness. That is, I know that it is homemade goodness, but Phi is less convinced. She eats the concoction that we ladle into her bowl every day, but she does so grudgingly.

When Phi goes to visit my parents it's a different story. We supply my mother with sufficient homemade food, but a lot of it gets returned. That's because, according to my mother, Phi doesn't eat the homemade food and she's forced to feed her dry food. (In other words, the cat capitalizes on my mother's grandmotherly instincts and looks sad and hungry until she gets the kind of food she likes.) After the last visit my mother even sent a little bag of commercial dry food home with us.

The other day I decided to feed this stuff to Phi just to use it up. When I poured it into bowl, the sound of the little dry chunks hitting the bowl woke Phi out of a sound sleep and she bounded across the room to eat up every last morsel. So the question is, am I an especially bad cat cook or do they put cat narcotics in the dry food?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think like all offspring, Phi just loves junk food.

Way to go Grandma - ruining the offspring :)

alexis said...

wow, making own cat food! Surely there is another recipe out there?

Rachel Scherr said...

Dale, who was a vet tech for many years, says that commercial food typically has lots of delicious fat. The posted recipe looks pretty lean. I bet you'd have Phi's full attention if you mixed in a bunch of bacon grease. Or fish oil, which would be healthier.

Jason Loper said...

I've always wanted to make my own food for Zola - she's a special cat and I don't want her to eat just any ole thing. Alas, at her age (10ish), I don't think she'd take kindly to switching from the narcotic-laced canned variety and my pure homemade meals. :)