Friday, October 09, 2009

Bits and bobs

I don't think I can pull together a coherent post today. I used up all my coherence in the draft I finished yesterday.
-----
We're going to see the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble tonight. If you don't listen to classical music, you won't know that they are SUPER famous. I can't believe that they are coming to the university's concert center, which means we paid $7 each for student tickets. I'm looking forward to hearing them, but also (I must admit) to dressing up tonight.
-----
Last week I went a little crazy and processed gobs of food. I wrote all day long, and then each evening I cooked. The results? Four quarts of marinara sauce, several quarts of dried tomatoes, 6 pounds of green olives (I found fresh ones at the local Asian market!), four quarts of apple sauce, and refrigerator pickles. We will be eating well this winter.
-----
Andrew and I both got good news this week regarding papers we had submitted to journals. There was much rejoicing. It was efficient to get the news at the same time, because then we only needed to open one bottle of champagne.
-----
Next weekend we are going to New York for a three day weekend. It will be fun to get away from work, but (more importantly) it'll give me something to put on the blog.

7 comments:

stef said...

Have a wonderful time tonight and in NYC! How big is your freezer anyway?

Gill - UK said...

How English - you are in for a real musical treat.
The church of St.Martin in the Field does a lot of charitable work with the homeless of London and also has a fund, the vicars' relief fund, that can be distributed to people in need throughout parishes in the UK.
Congratulations both on your academic success.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Stef, I think it's about 5 or 6 cubic feet? I don't quite know for sure, but it provides about twice as much space as the freezer that's attached to the refrigerator. Not big enough for a cow, but enough to store what two people and a cat eat :)

Gloria said...

Mike and I are sitting at the Auckland airport waiting for our delayed plane to be called. We have free internet at the club - Yea! In New Zealand they would not say "Bits & Bobs", it would be "all your bits and pieces". I have heard that phrase used in so many ways here. Congrats to both of you on your academic success.

de-I said...

I envy you not having to deal with getting published - well done.

alexis said...

I am jealous of your pickels. And congrats!!

Pulisha said...

Congrats to both you. How exciting!