Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Musings on the near future (plus a recipe)

I’ve been a bit lax with the blog lately, and that’s unlikely to change for a while. Every time I think about writing a post, I figure that I really should be spending that time working on papers. The day of reckoning approaches, you know.

We have set a defense date, and it’s twelve weeks from today. Sometimes that day seems very far away: look how much I’ve done! It’s just tidying up at this point! And sometimes that days seems very close: ten weeks from today I have to turn in my dissertation to my committee and I still need to write two small chapters and edit four chapters. Oh, and work on the side project (which I enjoy very much but doesn’t directly contribute to my dissertation) that actually pays my salary.

I still don’t know where I’ll be living (and working) five months from now, but I’m reasonably confident that I will be employed, and that’s comfort enough right now.

In unrelated news, I made a stellar pasta last week. I was making homemade noodles, so I didn’t want to have to spend too much time on the toppings. This recipe, with slow roasted tomatoes and goat cheese, was excellent. It seemed silly to buy fresh basil when I have almost a half gallon of pesto in the freezer, but that was my only substitution (along with the fresh pasta, of course).

6 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Your self-discipline is commendable.

alexis said...

gosh, an exciting and stressful time for you! So much work culminating in this moment though. Can you believe you will be done with your degree studies (for now) ??

Bernice said...

I am glad that the stress level is not what it was for the Qualls. Do you need me to come and cook and clean for you like I did then? Just kidding.

Anonymous said...

Alexis - no, I haven't quite comprehended that it will soon be all over. After this (because I do not intend to ever get another degree) I'll still be in academia, but I'll be a professional instead of a student. That's a big shift for me.

de-I said...

Agreement with Gill.

I love slow roasted tomatoes. It really brings out the sweetness.

Ellie said...

Oh, that pasta was SOOoooo good!
Even Kevin had something to say about it - and it was a good thing to say.