Tuesday, November 09, 2010

My life has been a bit over-vegetabled lately. I've joined a vegetable buying club, where someone buys organic veggies in bulk, and distributes them each week. It's sort of like a CSA (community supported agriculture), but you can cancel at anytime and you're not limited to the produce of one farm, or even one region. The produce is much higher quality than what I can get at the grocery store, and they give you so much that I split the share with a colleague. This week, because I'm going away for four days, I've been trying to eat my week's veggies in just two days. It's turned into an experiment to test how much produce one can eat without upsetting the digestive system. Today I've managed to eat a pomegranate, a persimmon, collard greens, half a (small) watermelon, spinach, half an onion, two poblano peppers, and a half a pint of cherry tomatoes. Oof.

This hasn't hampered my Indian cooking too much, although I only managed one Indian dish this week: spinach pakoras. You mix fresh spinach into a batter and fry up patties. The most interesting part is that this recipe forced to buy chickpea flour (available at your local Indian grocery), which I would somehow like to start using more, because it's so much healthier than wheat flour.

3 comments:

alexis said...

LOL! You know I love veggies, but that amount of produce is extreme even for me! Hopefully there won't be too much suffering as a result.

unclem-nm said...

We tried our local veg service but found the quality lacking.

If wheat is so bad for you, how did it become the staple for the development of most of Eurasian civilization?

Anonymous said...

Mike, you are so right. As someone who eats wheat-based pasta almost every single day, I should not disparage wheat. Still, it is nice to get a little variety into my diet.