Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Highlights from my Christmas holiday in Ohio

1. Waking up at 3am last Tuesday and standing in a cold, snowy field with my parents and husband to see the full eclipse of the moon. I believe that every single day we were in Ohio it was cloudy, but the skies happened to clear at that hour. I thought it was incredibly cool that my parents would wake from a dead sleep and look at the moon with me.

2. Decorating the table. My father and I designed this one together.

3. Discovering that my husband knows how to draw. We colored with my niece and nephew for an afternoon. We were there with paper and pencils and then he just produced recognizable scenes on the page. This is something I’ve never been able to do, so I’m rather in awe.

4. Reading. I love reading, and whenever I go on vacation I’m reminded that I want to do it more. I read to my niece and nephew, I read my own books, and now (thanks to Andrew) I’ve got a Kindle so I can read even more.

5. Cooking a four course English Christmas dinner: Welsh rabbit, standing rib roast roast with onion gravy, roast potatoes and vegetables, and a boiled pudding with custard sauce. I learned that Welsh rabbit is actually cheese sauce on toast and that boiled puddings (which are just cakes that are steamed rather than baked) are deliciously moist and just as easy to make as regular cakes.

6. Reveling in winter. I appreciate many aspects of Miami, but I really miss the changing seasons. I soaked in the winter feeling as much as possible, which meant taking a walk in the woods while the snow was falling and drinking Gluehwein.

7 comments:

unclem-nm said...

I would have liked to be at your dinner!

Talking to your Dad, it did sound like a fun time.

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful holiday. I'm glad we got to enjoy winter together.

alexis said...

aww, those are nice highlights!

But I think it's Welsh Rarebit? And I don't think I'll miss winter at all if I can ever escape it.

Anonymous said...

Alexis, it seems to go by both names - Rarebit and Rabbit, at least according to Wikipedia. No one seems to know exactly where these names came from, though.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bernice said...

It was great having both of you here for the week. Nice summary of our time together.

Gill - UK said...

The meal sounded really good - but I've never heard of Welsh Rarebit as
part of a Christmas feast.
In the UK, Turkey is the traditional meat - along with the roast vegetables - but then we don't celebrate Thanksgiving - and it is possible to have too much turkey.