Monday, August 22, 2011

Birnentorte

This week's torte is a pear torte, which I chose because our vegetable share came with a dozen pears this week. The recipe for this torte was not so straightforward, because it was one that expected you to use all packaged foods. It was something along the lines of "While baking a fruit cake base, mix up a packet of vanilla pudding, open two jars of pears, and add water to a packet of glaze."

I think this "fruit cake base" will be a common component in the future - the ingredients are similar to that of a pound cake (equal amounts of butter, sugar, and flour) but it called for more leavening than a typical pound cake (three eggs), so it turned out a bit lighter. Here are the mistakes (let's call them learning opportunities) made with this cake:
1. I accidentally used a too-small pan, and my cake was higher than expected. To compensate, I cut the cake in half horizontally and froze half for another cake.
2. I poached fresh pears in simple syrup and orange juice, which was a great improvement over canned pears. I then brushed some of the leftover liquid on the cake layer before I topped it with the pudding. This is commonly done with French cakes (genoise) but it make the cake almost soggy. I've got to quit thinking these techniques will transfer and just follow the instructions.
3. The glaze, something called Tortenguss, is something you normally buy in a packet. (It's that light red sheen you might be able to see in the picture). I followed a suggestion I found on a German baking forum to make a pectin glaze, but it never set up. I'll need to try adding more pectin.

The beauty of making cakes, though, is that even imperfect ones are pretty darn delicious.

6 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Do you share the cakes around your friends and colleagues? If you share the pear torte between two, then you'll both need to take on a serious exercise regime.
It looks delicious.

Ellie said...

Oooh, my mouth is watering. Very clever making double the cake needed - very efficient for your multi-torte agenda.

Pulisha said...

That looks fantastic! My mom used to make poached pears, and they were a favorite food as a kid. Canned just isn't the same!

unclem-nm said...

I'm expecting a list of choices I can have you bake while Sandia Outfitters is guiding Andrew in the mountains this November.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Fair enough, uncle-nm.

Shaela said...

Wow, your blog is so mouth-watering these days! I really want a pear now...