Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Kitten in the house

Several weeks a ago, a half-grown gray kitten ran into my office, jumped up on to my desk, and started taking a bath. After a few inquiries, my coworkers determined that she didn't belong to anyone, and he was adopted by the postdoc who works next door.
Tonight the kitten came for a visit, as we'll be catsitting for the next few days. I haven't taken care of a kitten in about twenty years, and I forgot how they think. My cat, twelve years old, is still pretty active and likes to play with the laser pointer or chase geckos. But kittens think if anything might move, it should be moved. She has unearthed things from under the bed, scattered catnip over the entire surface of the kitchen floor, and jumped on to the kitchen table no less than a dozen times. (Prompt removal from said table does not seem to have an effect.) She has shimmied under the couch, behind the freezer, and even (momentarily) crawled into the refrigerator while I was putting something into it.
I am enjoying the kitten visit and I will enjoy the peace that descends at the end of the kitten visit.

6 comments:

Shawn said...

We demand cute kitten pictures!

Gill - UK said...

What did Phi make of the visitor?

de-I said...

Ditto with Gill

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

In case it's not clear from Thursday's post, Phi is not a big fan of the visitor. There's been lots of hissing, but so far it's been all talk and no action on her part (thank goodness).

alexis said...

ditto Shawn - cute kitten photos!

and definitely if you can manage another shot of her in the fridge :)

Matty Lau said...

HA! It's a bit like having a friend's very young child come visit. You enjoying spending time with the little person but are happy to send the child home to his/her proper parents. :)