Monday, September 17, 2012

Shopping the past

When my parents called me up and asked what I'd like for my birthday, I told them I'd like some kind of book that had pictures of people from the 1940's or 50's. I'm always looking for collections of pictures showing how everyday people dressed back then, because then I can figure out how to style my hair or purchase modern clothes that fit into that look. My father exclaimed, "I have just the thing!" and he ran upstairs to fetch a Sears, Roebuck, and Co. catalogue from 1949 that just happend to be sitting on his bookshelf. He promised that I could borrow it for a few years, but then he'd want it back. It's a perfect gift, and it arrived in the mail today.

What I most love about this is how it shows that my father can literally "shop his closet," picking out gifts for people from the treasures accumulated during decades of garage saleing. It also demonstrates how my father and I share a love of old stuff. He might collect tractors while I collect hats, but we come from the same stock.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Somewhere or the other I have the dress patterns that I used in the sixties - that's probably too modern for you!

de-I said...

And your Dad wants it back so he can order things from it???

alexis said...

I'm looking forward to seeing some of those hair styles! The calf length would have killed me though.

Pulisha said...

It must be a G-family thing. We too have the garage saling bug (and are pack rats..er...collectors). Garage sales are one of the things I miss most about living in the States!