Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Giving thanks at Disney



We went to Disney for Thanksgiving. We didn’t actually walk the grounds of Disney World, though, or pay the $100 entrance fee. Instead, we loitered near the entrance for a few days by staying at the Disney campground, Fort Wilderness. I must admit that Disney isn’t the first place I think to take a vacation, even though we now live a mere four hours from Orlando. However, my brother and his family were vacationing for a week at Disney, and the promise of family time at a place that is beloved by my niece, nephew, and sister-in-law was reason enough to go. And we had a blast.

The campground (contrary to what you might expect from Disney) is filled with real dirt and trees and squirrels and raccoons. But there’s also luxury – water and electric hookups at every campsite, and heated bathroom stations (a nice improvement over ‘dig a hole in the dirt’ bathrooms we have when we normally rough it). They also have lots of Disney events: there’s a nightly sing-a-long with  Chip and Dale, followed by an outdoor Disney movie. There’s a communal campfire for roasting marshmallows, and a restaurant where you can drink (very expensive) beer. We watched the nightly light show, when a train of boats with huge lighted screens glides by on the lake which separates the campground from the Magic Kingdom. (See how much I learned? I didn’t know until this weekend that Magic Kingdom refers to the original Disney World, whereas “Disney” is an all-encompassing term for the brand and/or the location.)

My niece Kyla got into the spirit by making her own nature-filled Mickey decoration.
We kayaked through the canals of the campground.




We played pirate-themed miniature golf.




We also froze nearly to death. We shivered through the first night, when the temperatures dipped to into the low 40s. Then we slipped over to a big box store and bought electric blankets for all, which led to camping bliss. I’m starting to see the benefits of electric hookups at campsites after all…

7 comments:

Matty Lau said...

Oh, it never occurred to me to use the electric hook-ups that way. I had always thought we'd have to go the route of the cabin if we wanted to use things like electric blankets.

Sounds like a nice way to explore the Disney brand. :)

Pulisha said...

Looks like fun! All those years in FL, and I never knew Disney had a camp ground!

alexis said...

sounds like the perfect combination trip for you guys and cousin S.

Bernice said...

Camping with electric blankets? I bet some of you even had aero beds! Glad you had a great time.

de-I said...

Electric blankets and aero beds would be the ONLY way I would camp at this stage of my life.

BTW, I believe you were in a canoe and not a kayak by those pictures :)

Denise Annemarie said...

Even better would be a motor home with heat (like I had when I was in Hershey a while ago)!!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

You are right, de-I. Those were canoes. Consider me fact-checked.