Thursday, December 20, 2012

Off to Ohio


Tomorrow we're leaving for Ohio to spend Christmas with my family. We did the calculations and determined that it would be cheaper to drive and bring the animals this year, because boarding two pets is quite pricey.  So we'll be packing the cat, dog, and two humans in the car tomorrow morning. With 20 hours of driving (which we'll spread out over two days), we'll be there.

Ada, the Miami dog, is now the proud owner of handmade purple coat that will help her survive the Midwest winter.(Since we don't have a sewing machine, Andrew and I did an awful lot of hand sewing this week).

This trip also prompted us to make a decision that I've been putting off for quite a while. As we've tried to live more frugally, I became aware that our Mini was not a frugal choice, as much as I loved it, and that's pretty much due to it's poor gas mileage. (You can't get great mileage when you're a sports car with a turbo-charged engine, after all).

So, when we take our trip, we'll be travelling in a new (to us) fuel-efficient car. It also happens to have more space and is beloved by Andrew, so it wasn't a total loss to give up my Mini.

9 comments:

Ayush Gupta said...

Is that a Honda Fit?

Gill - UK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gill - UK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gill - UK said...

For some reason when I opened your post - I got the blurb without the photos - so I requested photos and managed to post the comment twice!!
If at first you don't succeed.......
What a lovely coat - Ada now needs matching boots. Did you buy a doggy coat pattern? What sort of fabric did you use?
Like the new car - you'll have a much more comfortable journey.

de-I said...

Hope you don't run into the snow storm.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

The new car is a Scion XA, which is almost the same car as a Toyota Yaris.

I hope we don't hit the snow too.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renee Michelle Goertzen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alexis said...

ah sad to lose your beloved mini, but I hope you got good trade in value at least? You take much praise in my book by sticking to your choices. Living frugally is like diet or a religion, it permeates every part of life!