Friday, September 13, 2013

Digging in the dirt - a retrospective

     It turns out that I love gardening. I planted my first garden this year, motivated mainly be the fact that a garden plot came with the apartment and I hoped to save money. By the middle of the summer, I found myself wishing that I had even more work to do in the garden, and by then I knew that I was hooked.
     I think gardening can be a hobby aligned with frugal living, but then you have to garden carefully. I kept a careful tally of all my expenses during the summer, and I can report that I spent $162 on non-durable supplies like seedlings, seeds, mulch, and compost. In the future, I can probably limit myself to $100 of expenses, because I now know where to get bulk mulch and compost. I had planned to keep an equally careful account of food harvested, but I abandoned that during this difficult summer. Hopefully I can track next year, because I would like to prove to myself that gardening is thrifty.
     I managed to take pictures at the start of most months, and they let me tell the story of the garden this year.
     By June (above) I had two plots, but I spent the first month or two eating salads of weeds because nothing else was big enough. Andrew stood in the back to show the size of the plot, so I did that in future pictures too.
     In early July we had several trellises, including an incredible winter squash trellis on the right. Sadly, the winter squash all rotted, so I will have to try using the trellis again next year. In July I ate zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, and basil.
     I'm shorter than my husband was, so it's harder to see me in the back of this picture taken in early September. During August, I ate more green beans, more tomatoes, beets, and watermelon. I also discovered that you can eat sweet potato leaves, both in salads and stir fried.
     This last picture is of course a bit sad, because it has Andrew in it. But it also makes me happy, because we were so proud of the very first harvest - one zucchini and a basil.

6 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Although you have to be careful not to spend to excess in order to grow your own food, once you eat the vegetables you have grown yourself, and you eat them so soon after they have been picked that they don't even know they have stopped growing, the flavour is far superior to the 'fresh' foods you buy at a market. It's hard to put a price on that.
Hint - collect your own seeds, easy for peas and beans - and save on having to buy seed next year. Get your neighbours to keep seeds and then arrange to swap and share. My runner bean seeds for next year are being donated by my neighbour from across the road.

Stef said...

I love how you two look like a couple from the 40's. you could have had a liberty garden!

alexis said...

I second Gill's thoughts. When looking a thrifty compare it to organic foods.

The pictures are bittersweet. Happy to see the one we love and perhaps zucchini will remind you of that happiness in the future.

Anonymous said...

Renee, I took just started gardening this year!! I never thought I liked gardening at all... and then I moved into this house with all this land, and the next thing I know, me and my husband are building this huge fence to keep the deer out (as we live in a park) and we're planting all sorts of things. Our garden this year had a lot of failures because we were gone for three weeks on our honeymoon... But we plan to come back bigger and better next year!

I also have found that I really, really love even planting non-editable things! I planted two red bud trees in my yard (because they are beautiful) and I spent a lot of time making the front of my house look better than it did when we moved in by removing ugly bushes and replanting the area with flower beds.

It's weird, I feel personally connected to everything I plant. I worry about them and I spend all this time making sure they stay alive. I babied my red bud tress and am so proud about their growth already this year. I planted a three lilac bushes too... And a rose bush. And now I can identify flowers in other people's yards.

I dont know what's come over me... But I will say there is almost something spiritual about gardening...

de-I said...

As you know we live in an area where gardening can be a bit of challenge as it is dry and the soil is basically detritus from mountains. Each year is a bit of a crap shoot as to what will work and won't work. If we were dependent on our garden for subsistence, I don't think we would have a long life expectancy.

Denise Annemarie said...

I agree that there is something spiritual about gardening and being connected to the earth and with what God has blessed us with.

I love being able to pick my salad in my own backyard. There is nothing that compares to fresh fruits and vegetables -- I don't think there's a price on that! I picked our first MacIntosh apple from our tree yesterday -- it was so good and I don't really like this variety!

Using a rain barrel to collect water will make gardening more frugal and of course growing enough so you can freeze or can helps too!