Thursday, November 07, 2013

Fall Wrapup

It feels like nearly the end of fall. As the temperatures have been dropping and the the leaves changed, I've reflected several times how happy I am that we moved to DC. Not only did this put me closer to my parents, but it meant that I've experienced my first fall in three years. It was hard to leave friends, and a job I loved, in Miami, but living in a tropical climate helped me realize how much I love four distinct seasons.

Inspired by my cousin, who picks and processes kilos of apples each year, I made applesauce and a few apple cakes. I love applesauce, but I do not love peeling apples. I think a food mill would separate out the peels in a cooked sauce, but I also don't own a food mill. So I tried a blender recipe: core the apples, puree them raw in the blender, then cook to desired consistency. In this fashion, I turned five pounds of apples into sauce in about 30 minutes. I don't mind the thicker, chewier sauce that results, but if you prefer a very fine, creamy applesauce, this recipe, with its tiny shreds of peel, is not for you.

I'm also working my way through the 25 pounds of green tomatoes that have been slowly ripening in my bedroom. Every few days I pick out a few rotten ones and half a dozen ripe ones. I don't think they'll all ripen, which is why I need to find some green tomato recipes. I can only eat so much fried food, so I tried a green tomato cake (verdict: delicious) and may need to make some green tomato pickles.

5 comments:

alexis said...

oh I hear green tomato pickles and relish are delicious!

I gotta say the peeling is not my favorite part either, especially I feel so sad about the waste. I think that's why I especially enjoyed the apple butter, since that uses everything (sort of)

Carissa said...

The green tomato cake was AMAZING! I could eat that all day...

Gill - UK said...

What a bumper harvest of tomatoes - I've not tried this but apparently, if you put some of the tomatoes in a paper bag with a ripe apple or a ripe banana it speeds up the ripening process. I know that if you keep a prepacked bunch of bananas sealed in the supermarket packaging they do not last as long as if you take them out and expose them to the air.

Bernice said...

I will tell my friend who first told me about the green tomato cake that you enjoyed yours.

Florin Lung said...

I like that black pumpkin that looks like a cat ;)