Monday, September 01, 2014

A mega-project completed: The Coat Tree

Throughout the year, I've been alluding to an ongoing woodworking project that I've been undertaking with my friend N. I am now happy to reveal the finished product - a coat tree.* In the last ten years, I have never lived in a house with a front closet, and I decided that this was the solution. I found instructions in an old Popular Mechanics, and N and I made one for each of us. We didn't know the project would take six months, but it was worth it. I've learned to use most of the tools I now own, I can rout and plane and rip, and I have this beautiful piece of furniture. However, if I ever decide to build a kitchen table or rocking chair, I may need to quit my job.
   
*For the record, the coat tree will normally live in my front hall, but I was wanted good light for the photograph.

5 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Job well done - it looks brilliant - and you have acquired so many new skills.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Great job! Looks fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Hope to 'test' it out perhaps in a month and a half from now! It will be something you will cherish for many years. -jg

alexis said...

wow, you will enjoy that coat rack so much more beyond its beauty. You will remember all the work you put into and the memories of learning all you did as well.

de-I said...

Where is your online ordering site for those of us who want one?