Thursday, February 11, 2016

Phi the cat


My cat is seventeen years old this year. As cat lives go, this is a lengthy one. When I got Phi from the Ohio Humane Society, she was two years old and went by the name of Sweetums. I thought this was an awful name. Cats never come when called anyway and I thought she wouldn't care what her name was,  so I rebaptized her her Phi, after the Greek letter, which we used extensively in intro physics.
Andrew had never had a cat until he met me, but he loved Phi. She was allowed to sleep in the center of his pillow, whereas I had banned her from the bedroom up to that point.
For the past few years, I've been expecting her to die. She's healthy, and still demands attention from all guests, but she definitely sleeps more than she used to, and plays less. I'd be grateful to get a year or two more with her, but either way she's had a great life. 

6 comments:

alexis said...

I loved having a cat. I was very sad when she passed - 17 years is a great long life, ours I think only lasted 10 or so years. Now that I have kids I don't miss having a cat quite as much!

de-I said...

And still a great looking cat I might add.

Anonymous said...

She is such a sweet cuddly cat. Both of you won the lottery having each other! -jim g

Unknown said...

The ony negative is that it is difficult to get a good photo of a black cat. But I do love her too.

Gill - UK said...

It's hard to believe she is such a great age - she looks so young and at the peak of perfection.

why do cats need so much sleep said...

do you know
why do cats need so much sleep