Friday, April 22, 2016

Is that laughter I heard from the heavens?

As I have mentioned before, a certain subset of my extended family believes in appeasing the Magical Unicorn Pony Travel God. I am headed out for a long-planned trip to the Dominican Republic with my mother tomorrow, so the MUPTG has been on my mind. Alas, I think that I have already been deemed unworthy, as our pre-trip has been sullied by a few difficulties:

I had pictured drinking coffee on our apartment balcony and then strolling through sun-baked squares and museums. The most recent weather report shows about a 90% chance of rain every day, so I'm trying to re-imagine drinking coffee snugly inside the kitchen, and then hiking through showers to get to a museum.
More seriously, my mother sustained an injury. We were walking Ada the dog yesterday when a different dog broke through a unsecured gate and attacked. It bit my mother's hand and we spent the evening in urgent care. The good news is that she didn't need stitches and they are not worried about rabies. The bad news is she was a bit shook up, her hand is quite swollen, and she'll be sporting a big bandage in all the vacation photos.
Because of all the injury, neither of us are as on top of things as usual, and we forgot to check in early. Since we are flying Southwest, that means we won't be sitting together. I would normally take this opportunity to complain about Southwest, because unassigned seating drives me crazy. But my mother is treating me to this entire vacation as a birthday gift so I will firmly hold my tongue and enjoy the flight.

Luckily, my mother and I are people who try to see the positive. For example, when I served a rather unappetizing dinner tonight, she pointed out how nice it was to have food that was quickly prepared and filling. So we will make good travel companions for each other, and hopefully MUPTG will realize that we are not so easily defeated and will bestow upon us an eventful journey.

6 comments:

de-I said...

You do realize the appropriate sacrifice involves virgins of some kind. That's why in my road warrior days our neighborhood was pretty much denuded of children. Now that I'm semi retired, it's a much better place to live.

Then on the other hand, taking on the Magical Unicorn Pony God of Travel in direct combat works well too. So your attitude adjustment will drive it nuts. Always having options for your travel plans is a time tested weapon and drives the equine voyaging disruption maker crazy as well.

Have a wonderful time!

Give a hug to your Mom and hope she recovers quickly. Her Hubs told us about the treatment and it sounded very unpleasant.

Shaela said...

That's terrible! I'm glad at least she doesn't have to get rabies shots and you don't have to cancel your trip. I think you're going to have a great time anyway!

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Have a wonderful trip! Bernice I hope your hand heals quickly.

Gill - UK said...

Sorry to hear about Bernice's experience - have you had to report the incident to the police? In the UK dog owners are responsible for their dog's actions and they could be sued.
Have a lovely holiday both - the weather forecast may not be accurate.

Stef said...

I feel that the sacrifice has already been made and your trip is going to be amazing!!

alexis said...

well hopefully that's all the bad luck out of the way so nothing else will get in the way of the rest of the trip! Have a great time. :)