Thursday, October 14, 2021

Testing positive

 So... I have malaria. Let me tell you, if you drop that into the small talk part of your work meetings (those first three or four minutes as everyone logs on), it really gets people's attention. 

I tested positive almost as soon as it could have been detected, seven days after infection. I was pretty bummed. I knew this was a long shot, but I hoped it might work. However, the researchers seemed pretty blase' about it. Said the PI, "Science is a harsh mistress." Still, all is not lost. Since this is the first trial in humans, the primary goal is to assess safety. I've been told that even if it doesn't appear very effective, as long as it doesn't cause serious side effects, they will still hold larger trials. 

The type of malaria I was given was chosen because it is quite treatable. I had medicine before I even had symptoms, although I heard that other volunteers felt like they had the flu. So, even through I'm walking around full of parasites, I can't really tell. And because we don't have mosquitoes that transmit this malaria in DC, it perfectly fine for me to interact with people; there's no way for them to catch it. And in about a year or so, I will hopefully be able to read a paper published about the results and know I was one of the n that contributed.

5 comments:

de-I said...

Well of course you knew it was a possibility but it still sucks. I spend each trip to Ghana sucking down anti-malaria drugs and hoping I don't get it. So it seems ironic that you have it from a test in the USA. I hope it continues to express itself with you in a mild form.

Stef said...

I'm sorry that it wasn't successful - but for sure your participation in the trial is helpful! Thank you for doing it and I hope your symptoms are mild and over soon.

Nicholas said...

A very brave thing to do. I am impressed by your commitment and selflessness. Hopefully they are getting good data from this test.

Gill - UK said...

How would progress be made if there were no volunteers for these trials. Consolation that type you were given is 'quite 'treatable'. Do not doubt that the researchers will be keeping a close eye on you.

alexis said...

well, that certainly is a good conversation starter I guess, especially these days! I take it by your blase tone it's not too intense and you're hopefully recovering well.