Monday, January 10, 2022

Holidays

The very best part of the holidays was not being in pain anymore. A few days before Christmas I celebrated that it no longer hurt to smile, which was the result of multiple root canals and so many dentist appointments I'm losing track. That day, I had my first meal in six weeks that wasn't boiled into oblivion and went to bed without waking up to take drugs throughout the night. And life was good again.

The holidays also meant lots of family. I suspect that the family decided to come to me this year since it's my last year in the house. Except for my sister-in-law, who sadly couldn't make it, we had a full house. A house so full, in fact, that my brother got a hotel room.

 The adult coloring book was a hit. My niece found coloring a relaxing activity while on the phone with friends. She also the only one of us who managed to color within the lines.
We had a mainly vegetarian Christmas dinner, now that most of the family is either vegetarian or vegetarian-friendly. My poor father, the lone carnivore. That's probably why he's not really smiling in this photo...

To avoid going Covid-y places, we mainly organized activities at home. Grandparent/grandchild teams each cooked one dinner together. Particularly memorable was the meal produced by my nephew B and my father. B was convinced that they needed to top every meal made during vacation, so they made four courses, including Italian wedding soup, with both meat and vegan meatballs, fresh breadsticks, and homemade ice cream. This meal was so far beyond anything either of them had done before that I was in awe. I am used to being the sole foodie and primary chef in my family, but I think B might give me competition for my title someday.

4 comments:

de-I said...

It is good news that your family has seen the foodie light...

...And even better news that you are finally pain free.

alexis said...

What if any is the meaning behind the selected cities that were colored in?? Of course happy to see Amsterdam and Albuquerque there :)

I had to actually look up what Italian Wedding Soup was. That sounds like a promising start for B!

Gill - UK said...

Looks like you celebrated Christmas in style - and with so many cooks to help, everyone got to share the work.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Alexis, people just picked cities they liked. I colored Albuquerque (So. Much. Brown.) and my niece did Paris and most of Amsterdam, and my nephew chose Tokyo. Their world travel year gives them a lot of opinions about cities.