Friday, September 09, 2022

Destination Homerville

Many of my friends are also friends with my parents. This works out well for me because when we all get together, they can entertain each other and my introverted self can go read a book :)

This year, I planned a road trip with two friends to meet my parents and hang out in rural Ohio, and soon after my best friend and her family planned a different road trip that included my parents and invited me to meet them there. So I saw a lot of Homerville, Ohio (population 2,023) in August.

The draw for my friends, besides my parents´ excellent company, is the chance to hang out in the country, far from the noise of traffic or people. We ate grilled, lazed around on the porches, and played with my father´s many toys.
J takes my mother´s four-wheeler for a spin through the woods.
My best friend M is one of two adults I know who is actually shorter than me. It makes it easier for us to hug each other.
Trip 2: L, CA, and I. One of the goals of this trip was to help L experience some proper country living in rural America. She moved to DC from England not long before the pandemic began and hasn´t had a lot of opportunities to experience Amish vegetable auctions, sweet corn picked that morning, or the aroma of freshly spread manure. CA is a well-traveled American, so she showed us some of her favorite spots along our route.
My father took L and CA on rides in his vintage Triumph car. Alas, top hats are only picture props, since they don´t work well in convertibles. After the visit, L is talking a lot more about buying her own vintage American car and taking it back to the UK with her. 

2 comments:

de-I said...

How nice to be able to make the parents place a base and save a bunch of schlepping around.

alexis said...

I can't get over how immaculately mowed that lawn is. And I almost got nostalgic for the fresh fertilizer smell for a moment there. Almost.