Monday, May 06, 2024

Bicycling // El ciclismo

My new bicycle // mi nueva bicileta

La versión en español está después de la versión en inglés.

My biggest disappointment by far in Madrid has been the bicycle situation. When I visited in 2019, I didn't ride bicycle very much so I didn't realize that the cycling infrastructure here is basically a disaster compared to other European cities. My visit to Valencia demonstrated that it's possible for Spanish cities to have incredible biking opportunities. But in Madrid, the majority of cyclists belong to two groups: either they deliver food for places like UberEats, or they are sports fiends whizzing by in Lycra on racing bikes*. Obviously, I don't fit in either one of those groups.

It's rare to see bicycle lanes here. Instead, they have lanes in the street that are intended for vehicles traveling 30 kph or less, for bicycles or slow cars. But of course the cars travel much faster and it is dangerous for cyclists. Bus drivers and car drivers aren't expecting to see bikes in the streets,  which makes it dangerous enough that the people don't ride in the streets, and the cycle continues.

There are bike lanes in Parks outside of the city center, but they don't go anywhere. For that reason, I've decided I'll only be cicyling for exercise, and that I can't use my bicycle for errands or just getting around town like I did in the US. I finally bought a bike a few weeks ago, and have begun to explore.

*In English, they are pejoratively known as MAMILS, or middle-aged men in lycra, and are negatively stereotyped as being roadhogs and hating both cars and other bicyclists who are not as serious as they are.

The options in Madrid // Hay dos opciones en Madrid.
-----

Para mí, la mayor decepción de Madrid es el mal estado de su infraestructura ciclista. Cuando lo visité en 2019 yo no iba en bici, y por esta razón no me di cuenta de que ir en bicicleta es una catástrofe en comparación con otras ciudades de Europa. Mi visita a Valencia demuestra que es posible para las ciudades españolas crear oportunidades increíbles para el ciclismo. Lo cierto es que la mayoría de ciclistas de Madrid pertenecen a dos grupos: repartidores de comida que trabajan para empresas como UberEats o fanáticos del deporte que se ponen licras y van rápidamente en bicis que son ultraligeras. Evidentemente, no me sentí parte de ninguno de estos dos grupos.

Los carriles para bici son raros. En cambio, hay carriles en las calles para vehículos que viajan a menos de 30 km/h, para bicicletas y coches que circulan lentamente. Claro que sí, los coches circulan a más de 30 km/h y es peligroso para los ciclistas. Los conductores de coches y autobuses no esperan ver bicis en las calles, y por el peligro que representa esa falta de costumbre la gente no va en bici; es un círculo vicioso.

Existen carriles bici en parques y fuera del centro de la ciudad. Debido a esto, decidí que podía ir en bici para practicar deporte, pero no para hacer rutas a cualquier parte de la ciudad o llegar con la bici a destinos útiles, como hacía en los EE. UU. Compré una bicicleta hace algunas semanas y empecé a explorar.

6 comments:

Sue said...

Great looking bike! Very much your style. Mid century modern down to the aqua color. Can you bike on the sidewalk or is that looked down on in Spain.? The other trail looks very good nicely paved and safe looking. I’m keeping a mental picture of you with your helmet getting exercise and meeting new friend for picnics.

de-I said...

Well that's a bummer for sure.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Maybe you will have to move to Valencia.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Aunt G, if I decide to move away from Madrid someday, the opportunity to bicycle more will definitely be a motivating factor.

Richard said...

I couldn't agree more. Be careful!!!

alexis said...

oh my goodness, I had not heard of MAMILS. That is awesome! There are loads of them in Europe although I don't think they begrudge other cyclists always - just when they travel in packs