Thursday, August 10, 2006

Here's your brain when studying for the Quals - any questions?

I am currently studying for what looks to be the worst test of my life, aka the Quals taken for the third and final time. Having failed both parts of the test twice, I am no longer optimistic. Yet I admit that it would be foolish to give up at this point. So I struggle through, working practice problems I've already worked through several times, yet still can't always complete. I try to comfort myself with the thought that in two weeks, I will never have to take the qual again, whether or not I pass. But it is, I admit, a bit of a cold comfort.

My camera woman wanted me to post a missive on foods to eat while cramming for an exam, but mainly I live on fruit, protein bars, and boxed macaroni and cheese, and hope that my body can live on this for a short period without permanent damage. Actually, that's probably a pretty good goal for this whole month - just try to survive it without permanent damage. I'll survey the fallout of the exam in September and figure out then what to do next.

Next week I'm headed to Las Vegas for a Star Trek convention with Andrew and another friend. We've been planning this trip for a year, and the promise of rubbing elbows with thousands of other Star Trek fans is a beacon of cheeriness in my otherwise rather bleak outlook. Now, I know that even admitting that I'm headed to a Star Trek convention opens me to ridicule, but I know that each and every one of you has a geeky hobby of some sort, so try and have some sympathy. And if you're lucky, I'll get some good video of people dressed in Vulcan Robes or in Klingon regalia, and won't that brighten your day?

3 comments:

alexis said...

hey girl, hang in there. Third time's the charm! And even if you don't pass, you're still one of the bravest women I know. Failure blows, but it makes us stronger in the end.

And it will totally brighten my day if you come back with footage! :)

Anonymous said...

I too, look forward to the footage. Sending many, many positive vibes in your direction...

Anonymous said...

Some things do take much longer that we want them to. Such as ten years to find a house, and I don't actually have it in my possession yet. Dad and I are behind you 100 percent. Have a great week in Los Vegas.