Sunday, November 05, 2006

It sounded like a good idea at the time

Friday night was one of those nights when you get home late and realize that there are no more fresh vegetables or fruits in the house and you should have gone grocery shopping, like, three days ago. I thought this was the perfect opportunity to try out a new recipe that I had seen in the New York Times food section, "Eggs Poached in Red Wine." It sounded simple, used ingredients that I always have around (red wine, eggs, garlic, bread, and parmesian comprising the entire list) and I am always excited about alcholic main courses.

Saute the garlic, lightly fry the bread in the garlic and oil mixture and remove, and then add red wine and poach the eggs. Top with parmesan, serve with the garlic croutons on the side, and you've got... something really revolting. We ate the garlic bread with gusto, fished out the eggs and ate them because we were hungry, and dumped the revolting, salty, acidic, red wine down the drain. It amazes me when a recipe can take perfectly lovely ingredients and put them together to make something far worse then the sum of the parts.

Next time, I'll make the garlic bread, fry the eggs, and drink a nice big glass of red wine on the side. Lesson learned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(happy sigh) I love reading about the cooking exploits of friends and family. Even when it's a disaster!

I do admit red wine and eggs sounds unlikely to begin with.

Anonymous said...

I must admit I've seen dish in many cookbooks but don't ever remember the poaching liquid being served. I recall that usually there is some other type of sauce that is the pairing with the egg.

Matty Lau said...

Thanks for being the intrepid food explorer for the rest of us lily-livered foodies out there.