Friday, January 16, 2009

Ink

When I was a writing tutor (yes, that was my job in one of my past lives) I learned that one way to help people get over writer's block is to try different ways of writing. Instead of writing on your computer, grab a pen and write longhand. Or turn off your screen and type. (I use this one sometimes - it prevents you from constantly rewriting and forces you to just produce words.) My favorite way to write is with a fountain pen. Ahh, the smoothly flowing ink. The physical beauty of the words gives the illusion of well-crafted writing. That's an ego boost I can use.

Andrew bought me a fountain pen for Christmas last year. And I loved it. I wrote letters and drafts and checks. I carried it everywhere, until I lost it. All the wailing (and searching of the lost-and-found) did not effect its return, and we bought a replacement. But because I was so mad at myself for losing the first, rather pricey, pen, we got a more thriftily priced stainless steel nib instead of the gold nib. It was horrible. (I mean, it was no global economic downturn, but by golly the scratchiness and blots were outrageous.) So this Christmas Andrew bought me this pen, the Falcon. I used it this week and my life is once again delightful. I hope it will produce many, many pages of brilliant prose, which will handily fill my need for a dissertation. Surely a beautiful pen will help me produce beautiful research?

6 comments:

Shawn said...

$170 for a PEN!! That is not the Goertzen way!!

Next time I expect Andrew to make a pen from a straw, a small piece of grass and a rubber band.

Glad you got another pen though. :)

Jason Loper said...

That is one handsome pen!

Gill - UK said...

fao - Shawn

A was extravagant the Pearson way!
Give him time to absorb the Goertzen way.
I know A thinks RM is worth that and much more.

Matty Lau said...

A a fellow dissertation writer, and one who has opted to use the computer only when absolutely necessary, I agree with having the appropriate implements. Your craft _is_ writing. You need the best supports. Star chefs need to have a really good set of knives that can properly help them cook. Writers need to have a good set of utensils to help them properly write!

Anonymous said...

Matty - I therefore need very good knives and very good pens. Thanks for lending support to my pricey endeavors

Anonymous said...

Well spoken Shawn! Actually don't you think the Goertzen way would have been to justify the purchase (used of course) of substantial metal working equipment in order to custom work the barrel and nibs?