Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Interesting (but actually sad) fact of the day

Andrew is in the process of filling out some forms for the government. One question they asked was whether my salary alone is enough to support us both, and still keep us above the poverty line. (This is the government's way of checking whether my new husband plans to be a leech on American society.) We were hoping the answer would be yes, I can support us both, because then we'd have to fill out fewer forms. And, looking up the poverty level for two, I can indeed provide for my family. In fact, if you add our two salaries together (remember, we are both lavishly paid graduate students), the government has declared that the sum is large enough for us to support six children and still remain comfortably above the poverty line.

Does anyone else think perhaps the standards are just set a wee bit too low?

6 comments:

Gill - UK said...

I think your tongue was in your cheek!
Should you and Andrew raise six children, being prudent you would manage to live within your budget. but I think that the people who set these limits should try to live by them. Leading by example is a
persuasive argument that what you say is what you believe.

Bernice said...

I am glad you salary is so high that my S-I-L can stay in the US. That was an eye opener though. It is amazing that people survive on their limited income.

Anonymous said...

I just want to know when all these children are going to be actualized in order to do your governmental duty.

Jason Loper said...

When did they last update their standards - 1945? I can only imagine how much money it would take to raise a family with 6 children!

stef said...

Wow. That seems amazing. And yet- there are people out there doing it every day...

alexis said...

wow - that is amazing.