Monday, February 02, 2009

Running errands

It was a quiet weekend. Saturday was one of those days where we start running errands around noon and don't stop until it gets dark. But we did the important things: restocked the wine cupboard and the larder, secured a fresh supply of library books, and eventually procured a new microwave for my office. 

All my life I've been a religious library visitor. The adjective is particularly apt as I now read far more often than I worship. But since I've lived in Maryland I sometimes go months without visiting the library, mainly because the local branch is on the way to nowhere.  Whenever I need something to read, I pick out a selection from the already well read bookshelf, which is pretty much guaranteed to be something by Terry Pratchett. When I'm so desperate for new material that I'd chew off my own arm for entertainment, I renew my acquaintance with the library. And then I wonder why I can't find an hour once a week to get some books, because it's like a toy store. Except all the toys are all free! Who would say no to that?

-----

The upcoming weeks is a promising to be a bit of a doozy. I've got an after-work activity every day until Friday. Two are social, and two are professional, and I'm glad to do all of them, but that's an awful lot of people time in one week. I forsee a couple of work-at-home days; I think the introvert in me would appreciate a few "let's not talk to people days." As I tend to be more productive at home than at work most days, it's a win-win situation.

4 comments:

stef said...

I love the library! Luckily we have several within easy drive distance and at least one we can walk to in the summertime.

Gill - UK said...

I'm enduring/enjoying a period of having to stay at home because snow has forced the closure of my workplace. I can get through so much work for school when I don't have to go in.

Anonymous said...

Restocking the wine larder - a necessity of life.

Libraries are frustrating for me because I read so slow it I never can get through a book before I have to return it.

alexis said...

I use my family library - I borrow a couple books one my once a year trip back to the states from my sisters/parents, bring it back the year next.