Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The garden offensive

There's a new bully in the neighborhood, and the fact that he is a cat does not make me dislike him any less. My cat, Phi, often spends time outside, where she wears a harness and is attached to a line. She likes to sit under the pine tree and dream of catching squirrels. (A dream that does not seem likely to come true, as mousing is not apparently one of her skills.) On Sunday, we let her out for a few hours. When we brought her in, we noticed her safety collar had come off and she had a tiny scratch near her eye. I wasn't too worried because she's gotten tangled up in the branches before. But after last night's session outside, she had a tiny sliver of her ear ripped off. I'm so mad, and I feel terrible for her, because she's tied up and can't get away from scary cats. She's also ten years old and only weights seven pounds, so the bully is picking on a tiny old lady.

Andrew has grand plans for a cat-frightening device, which involves motion detectors and sprinklers. But in the end we will probably just sit outside with a bucket of water until the bully cat shows up and dowse him.

6 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Good for you - Phi needs a little help in the situation. What about investing in one of those gigantic water pistols and when you've seen off the bully you could donate it to your favourite niece.

Matty Lau said...

Ooooh! I hate bullies with a passion! I hope you get to douse him well.
Phooey on him for being such a weinie for picking on lovely ladies-who-look-much-younger-than-they-are!

greta said...

Good thing I'm not in the area any longer - I'd teach that beast a lesson(with your permission of course). Lots of love to my little Phi. Keep us in the loop.

alexis said...

oh that sucks!!! Go get 'em Renee!

stef said...

Oh poor little Phi! I hope you get the bully.

unclem-nm said...

Andrew in the best tradition of English chivalry - death to bully cats!