Thursday, August 06, 2009

The school year approaches

Yesterday I saw the first advertisement for back-to-school sales and it caused my stomach to clench up into a compact mass. When I was a kid, I was painfully shy and the very idea of school starting made me physically ill. I liked learning, but I hated new situations. The four or five times I was starting at new schools were especially bad, and those back-to-school sales were the harbinger of the month of stomachaches that were approaching. Now it only takes a moment to remind myself that I'm not the same person I was when I was seven and then I feel better.

I can't believe I've decided to spend my career in academia.

4 comments:

Stef said...

Oh dear. I had no idea you had such a hard time starting school each year! i remember it being a mixed feeling of excitement and trepidation.

Jason Loper said...

O I hear you! I was shy, often a new kid because we moved a lot, and an effeminite little dickens to boot! I approached the closing of summer with a death march. Somehow 'academia' seems a little more peaceful than 'school'. I'm sure you're right where you belong. :-)

unclem-nm said...

Maybe you are addicted to the pain and relief cycle?

Mars Girl said...

Wow! I didnt know that about you. I always liked the new school year. Classes seemed fun for about a week... until I had actual work to do... =)