Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Bits and bobs

I don't have enough material for a coherent post, so you'll have to do with this collection of random tidbits.
-----
My writing buddy and I had another writing session this past weekend. These weekends are really productive, but I am finding that too many in a row robs me of the ability to do serious work during the week. This last weekend came right after my conference, which meant I headed into it wiped out. I managed to get lots done, but I don't think I cracked a smile the whole time. (Sorry, writing buddy!)

To combat the burned-out feeling, I took Monday off and did some thrift shopping and beach-sitting. We've recently discovered a beach on the Cheasapeake Bay, which makes getting to the beach a 45 minute drive instead of a three hour event. The sand isn't as white and they don't have wild horses, but listening to the water is still just as relaxing.
-----
I'm planning to graduate next spring, and I was contemplating what joys will come my way as a postdoc. Besides the obvious (knowing that I've learned a lot, getting the opportunity to continue researching in a field I love), I'm looking forward to moving to a house with a dishwasher. That doesn't seem too much to ask, does it? Preparing three meals a day, even for just two people, produces a fair number of dirty dishes and makes a dishwasher seem like quite a luxury.
-----
Lastly, if you're looking for a way to kill a few minutes, check out this. It's a graph of how people spend their time in America, from a survey done last year. The results are presented hour by hour, and I found it especially interesting to compare the days of different demographics.

3 comments:

Stef said...

A dishwasher makes one finally feel like a grownup. Beware though. Once you are used to one it is nearly impossible to go back!

alexis said...

three meals a day is an awful lot! In my last two rentals I have had dishwashers and not used them.

de-I said...

A dishwasher (along with a clothes washer and dryer) are one of the luxuries that really free up time.

I found the figure on the number of people traveling at any given time particularly interesting.