Thursday, April 15, 2010

Finishing things off

First off, I want to thank everyone for celebrating virtually with me. I was especially touched by the congratulations of two of my uncles, one who wrote me a post, and one who has never commented on my blog before (I know who you are, odeman45!).

I thought things would be calmer after the defense, but (alas!) I am actually busier. This is mainly of my own doing, as I have tightly scheduled the next six weeks. Right now I am working on the revisions to the dissertation, so that they will hopefully be completed early next week. I also need to pack my suitcases, because Wednesday we leave for England. Oh, and I need to pack everything in the house as well, because I'm leaving for Miami the day after we return.

But enough complaining. I have blessing to count, and they are big ones:

- I'm going on vacation (at least, I will if Britain's airports reopen)
- I'm done with my education (twenty-seven years worth!)
- I have a job (and it's an exciting job)

To close, some pictures of the celebrations. Me, with one of my advisors (my primary advisor doesn't live in DC anymore, so she video'd in. I should have taken a picture of me and her head on the laptop screen):

I am the cake-maker in our research group, so there is a hole to fill when I leave. It turned out that two people made a cake each for me, so I'm leaving the group well-caked.
That night, we celebrated with Ethiopian food. My brother and Dad are relieved that the food, although exotic, has meat in it.
Later in the week, my parents and I spent the day in Annapolis, where we took a historical tour, led by a man in a tri-corner hat. I didn't know how many important things happened in Annapolis. It's the state capital of Maryland, and it briefly housed the U.S. Congress. That occurred right after the Revolutionary War, so Annapolis is where George Washington resigned his commission (the first peaceful transition into democracy in history) and where the Treaty of Paris was signed (ending the Revolutionary War). We ended the day with ice cream. (Please take note: I only ate one of the two ice creams I'm holding in the picture.)

6 comments:

Bernice said...

Great post. Nice summary of events. It was great to be a part of them.

Gill - UK said...

I've checked the state of the volcanoes in Iceland (Smithsonian - you might have heard of it)and I'm hopeful that UK airports will be open in time for your journey. I am sure you will be able to sample ice cream when you come over to the UK - probably need several samples for comparison.

BZ said...

Congratulations!!!

Stef said...

Not to mention you are looking fabulous in all your pics. ;)
Have a wonderful wonderful next 6 weeks and hopefully I will get to visit you in Miami!

alexis said...

Awww, so much to do! I am excited to hear it all in person shortly and share your father-in-law's optimism that things should be better for UK at least, if the damn thing would stop spewing ash.

unclem-nm said...

I'm willing to be that your Dad ate two of them :)

And you look so very much like my vision of the physicist those pictures...beautiful female physicist that is.