Monday, April 19, 2010

R.I.P. 2003-2010

I haven't quite left work and they've already decided I'm gone.


When I protested (Warning: Monty Python reference ahead), "I'm not dead," I was informed that the 'Graduate Student Renee Michelle' is dead. (If it helps, I think the battery and the sweetener are offerings to my shrine.)

I am now much less worried about our vacation situation. The situation is still uncertain, but we have plans, and then we have back-up plans, and then we have secondary back-up plans. Not all involve getting to Europe in the next two weeks, but all involve me taking a long vacation, and I think that's all I need right now.

(And to the people who asked me why I might postpone my vacation, because they didn't know about the volcano erupting and the hundreds of thousands of people stranded: maybe there is something to this idea that academics live in a bubble, after all.)

3 comments:

Gill - UK said...

I'm glad you are not worried about the ash - it will be lovely to see you both, but it's better still to know that you are both happy and safe

alexis said...

that is hilarious!!!! and I am not too worried - whatever will be will be. They are starting to fly and the airlines are bleeding so badly they will do anything (except risk a crash - they will only fly if they think it's safe rather than risk a disaster scaring customers away for longer periods of time) to get back in the air.

unclem-nm said...

Well as THE Doctor I fully expected you to use your tardis to get to Europe.