Friday, May 28, 2010

My new campus

The campus where I now work is very, very pretty. My previous campus had great columned brick buildings, lots of green space, and trees galore. It felt like exactly what a campus should be: elegant, serious, and a bit ponderous. The feeling at my new campus can be summed up in one word: lush. There are a dozen small ponds, many with fountains. There are gazebos and winding paths, shaded study areas and plant life everywhere.
It's also filled with wildlife. Ducks and ducklings are most noticeable right now, but I've also seen turtles, dragonflies, geckos, and birds of all sorts.
Sometimes, as the golf carts zip by me, I think this must be what it feels like when you stay at a tropical resort. But hopefully such resorts have a few more slushy drinks and a few fewer meetings.

8 comments:

Michael Podolny said...

Excuse my obtuseness. What's the name of the school?

Gill - UK said...

The photos show one of the reasons you made the choice you did.

Anonymous said...

@ MP: Florida International University.

Sue said...

S didn"t say you were here= or maybe she did and I tuned out- We ( Nicks parents ) are in Gainesville if you ever get up this way or need info. on living in Fl. One hint, keep up the Advantage on your kitty the fleas in FL are relentless!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Sue - thanks for the offer, and the advice. I'll save up all my tough questions for you. Right now, just answer me one: should I fear fleas or hurricanes more?

alexis said...

indeed, what a beautiful new setting!! FL is so different from the rest of the country, truly looks like the first baby steps to equatorial climes.

Bernice said...

It does look like a resort. Great pictures.

Shaela said...

Oh! I miss the geckos!