Saturday, July 03, 2010

As American as...

I was invited to an early Independence Day party. We were encouraged to bring dishes with a patriotic theme, and people went all out. There was a roast chicken, with a little gravestone that said "R.I.P. Senator Robert Byrd." There was a huge plate of red, white and blue sushi (the rice was died), arranged in the shape of the flag. Numerous flag-decorated cakes, cobblers, and pies made appearances. Oh, and we can't forget the Fox News Kool-aid. (Drink the Kool-aid!)

I wanted to make an apple pie, but I was concerned that there would be an overabundance of desserts. So I made a savory apple pie. I had to make up my own recipe, because I couldn't find any that had all the ingredients I wanted to use. The pie was well received (= I didn't have any leftovers to take home) so I'll be making it again. Here's my abbreviated recipe.

I made enough pie crust a double 9" pie. While the dough chilled, I slowly cooked two thinly sliced Vidalia onions. I wanted most of the water to cook out and for them to get dark and soft. I added a few pinches of salt and pepper and a teaspoon each of thyme and sage. Then I peeled and sliced three Granny Smith apples, tossed them with 2 tablespoons of flour, and a bit of sugar and thyme. Lastly, I sliced 8 oz of sharp cheddar. I layered first the onions and then the apples in the pie crust, then topped them with the cheddar and the second crust. A bit of egg wash, and 45 minutes later I got this:

Happy Independence Day!

6 comments:

Bernice said...

Too funny!

Stef said...

that sounds delicious!

unclem-nm said...

I would never have thought to do a 'savory' apple pie. Nicely done.

Gill - UK said...

When the apples are ready to pick I shall be asking you for a detailed recipe - it doesn't surprise me there was none left over. Did you get to taste it?

jonathan goldstein said...

I was not feeling it until you got to the cheese. Then I was like, "Yes!"

We went to a jewish, goth, suburban, bbq pool party.

What makes for a jewish goth pool party? Black bathing suits and heavy metal renditions of Hava Nagila.

alexis said...

oh man, that does look good. I am super impressed with the lengths people went to to think up creative recipes.