Monday, July 26, 2010

An even tinier house

Those of you who saw our old house may remember that it was cozy. 425 square feet of coziness, to be exact, and about 75 square feet weren't usable by anyone over four feet because the ceiling sloped. Well, I decided that we could live even more efficiently. Our new house has 350 square feet (32.5 square meters for my metric readers). The new apartment feels much smaller because we lost almost all of the (extensive) closet space that we used to have. In order to make this workable, we had to (1) purge and (2) hide stuff. We disposed of a lot of furniture before we moved to Miami, but we also ended up putting stuff in storage. Our stored belongings are things we really wanted to keep, mainly tools and camping gear, but not things that we needed for daily living. Andrew kept trying to convince me that we could just leave all the boxes in the living room and walk through the piles (maybe we could have built furniture using packed boxes?) but I'm a woman who needs lots of empty space. After a few months of arranging and decorating, I am ready to reveal the beta version of our Miami home.

The living room:
The kitchen, also known as the other side of the living room:
And let's take a closer look at that lamp. Why, it's covered in paper cocktail umbrellas! Just like this one. (I have a feeling that people are going to either love or hate this lamp.)

The bedroom has, as of yet, been untouched by the Wand of Style. Suggestions are appreciated.


9 comments:

unclem-nm said...

Aren't the paper cocktail umbrellas a bit of a fire hazard?

unclem-nm said...

By the way, if this is the beta version, I assume the full version will be rolled out soon in mass production mode.

Anonymous said...

It's a plastic shade and the light bulb is CFL, which doesn't usually get too warm. I guess I'll watch it carefully and report back if it starts smoking.

Bernice said...

I really need you and your editing skills at my house. My problem is that I have way too much square footage so it gets filled up. Help! It was nice to see your apartment.

Aunt Gloria said...

Glad to see your settling in. How is Andrew doing as a bachelor?

alexis said...

you've done wonders with the space! I like the lamp, so put me in that camp. Coming from someone who never decorates, I am impressed that you have everything already in order.

Shaela said...

I like the whole Florida feel of the main room! (Something about tile floors says, "Track sand on me!") Maybe you could do something similarly regional in the bedroom.

Matty Lau said...

My jaw just dropped with that lamp. What kind of glue did you use on it such that the umbrellas haven't melted off yet?
To take Shaela's suggestion to the next step, it seems you should be laying sand down on your bedroom floor and setting up mango trees by your bed.

Pulisha said...

I think it looks lovely. I share your affinity for the minimalist style. I just wish my house reflected it! We moved from a very large house in NM to the cozy one we have here in FL (about half the square footage), and I had a hard time parting with any of our furniture :(