Monday, October 04, 2010

Fall

I know, in my head, that Miami has two seasons, rainy and dry. And I think I'm starting to understand, for real, that that means it's always going to be summer. Since I moved here in May the days have been humid and daily high is in the low 90's F (low 30s C). Now the temperatures have dropped to the mid-80s F (high 20s C), and I have been informed that this is fall.

Fall - real fall, when the air gets crisp and you can wear a jacket and kick leaves as you walk down the street - is my favorite season. I'm going to miss it quite a bit this year. I've managed to schedule some winter weather for myself, with a long weekend in Chicago in November and a Christmas week in Ohio. But there will be no leaves crunching beneath my feet nor any impetus to start cooking with pumpkins and apples.

The most unusual "fall" experience I've had in Miami? I had to walk through the Christmas display at Home Depot to get to the garden section where I was buying some seedlings for my herb garden.

Andrew thinks we should get a Christmas palm instead of a Christmas pine tree this year.

6 comments:

alexis said...

goodness, I got the urge to cook with pumpkin and apple already back in july! The weather here is decidedly fall though, I think it was just cold before :) .

Oh and I think the palm tree idea is spot on!

Gill - UK said...

Do they make Star Trek figures in hot weather clothes for your Palm Christmas Tree?

Bernice said...

You and Andrew are so adaptable. Interesting to note the contrast to the Midwest however.

Anonymous said...

Gill, I don't think the do make Star Trek: the Miami Generation figurines. But maybe I could make little grass skirts to put on our current ornaments to give it a Hawaiian vibe.

unclem-nm said...

I like the idea of a Christmas palm. Makes much, much more sense.

How about Panama hats for the Star Trek: Miami Generation figurines?

Shaela said...

Today is a perfect fall day in MD - sorry you're not here to enjoy it. Can't you come visit?