Wednesday, February 23, 2011

ZPD

Although the vacation provided a welcome respite, the last two months have been stressful for me and Andrew. I've been preparing for a work trip to DC, which happens next week. I'll be so grateful when it's over, because although it's very useful for me professionally (I'm learning more about how to write grants, and I'll be giving a talk to my old research group), I'm doing things that aren't familiar to me. In education talk, I'm in my Zone of Proximal Development, which is the place in where you're on the border of the skills and knowledge you know, and where you need experience with other people and activities to proceed. It's also the place where you learn. But all this learning is exhausting, I tell you.

Andrew's a bit stressed out because, well, he's madly writing a dissertation. And he's gotten sick three times in the last two months, which is more illness that he's experienced in the past two years.

I don't want to complain too much. I have a good job, my husband will be living with me in nine weeks, and I ate homemade spaghetti for dinner. Life could be much worse.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Sorry to hear that Andrew was not well - he doesn't usually succumb to illness. He's missing your TLC but nine weeks should put that right.
Hope your DC work trip goes well - the extra preparation should pay dividends.

alexis said...

oh hang in there! it gets worse just before it gets better :)

unclem-nm said...

Not good about Andrew getting sick from the stress. It will be over soon.

Shaela said...

Well Renee Michelle, I was just waiting for your next post so I could complain about the absence of yummy indian food recipes we've witnessed the last couple months, but I suppose I can let it slide for now. Just know that you've left all of your loyal readers bereft in the name of learning!