Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Strawberries

It's strawberry season in Florida! The local strawberries are extraordinary, not those giant, tasteless strawberries bred for shipping ease instead of flavor. However, the strawberry farm is quite a long drive from our house, so when we go, we buy a big flat. They don't stay fresh for very long, so it was all strawberries, all weekend.

This cake was way more work that it should have been. The first time I baked the cake layer, I forgot the sugar, so that went into the trash. The rest of the layers were straightforward, but it also took me two tries to get the glaze on top correct. Luckily, I know someone who has trained as a baker in Germany, so I have an expert to help me figure out what I did wrong.
Chocolate covered strawberries:
 Strawberry basil collins:

5 comments:

de-I said...

What did you do wrong?

Gill - UK said...

We have to wait another four and a half months for our strawberries to be ready in the garden - and of course - they taste far better than anything we buy in the stores.

alexis said...

yes I also want to know - I am tots impressed with the cake though AND your determination! Do you freeze strawberries as well?

Denise Annemarie said...

I miss strawberries as I can't eat them anymore:(

You could also make jelly with them in the microwave. It's really fast to make.

Pulisha said...

Oh, I miss strawberries so much! They are so expensive out here (and the quality so poor) that it is not worth it to get them at all. Everything you made looks amazing!