Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer evenings

Last night we sat out watching the fireflies flit around above the lawn. Andrew didn't grow up with them, so he is still enjoying the novelty. An acquaintance who was recently visiting from Arizona pointed out the fireflies are a bit magical for anyone who sees them rarely. If you don't grow up in a place with fireflies, then you know them only through movies and comic books. Then you go for a trip, and BOOM! Real live bugs with glowing bottoms. It's pretty amazing.

Much more than in the past, I find myself consciously appreciating where I live. I've moved many times in my life, and I never lived anywhere that I didn't like. But like it or not, Miami was a far different climate than the places I grew up, and it turns out that I crave living in a climate like the Midwest. The DC area definitely fits the bill, with the added bonus that the winters are a bit shorter and the growing seasons are a bit longer. I am so very happy to be here.

1 comment:

de-I said...

My happiness is that there are lots of folks like you which keep most of them from being here :)