Sunday, July 21, 2013

Ready for fall

When I was an exchange student in Germany, my host mother taught me how to knit. There are only two basic stitches in knitting, and after that it's all about the ways you combine them.  In the years after Germany, I managed a few scarves and one sweater. But when I moved to Miami, I put away my knitting needles, because I couldn't imagine wanting to wear anything knitted in the subtropics. Once we moved back to Maryland, we experienced just enough cool weather to remind me that I don't own slippers any more. Amazon's cheapest pair was $12, which I thought was a bit steep. I couldn't find my old needles, so I bought a set of knitting needles for the same price as the slippers, and some yarn at a thrift shop. In just a couple of weeks, I had slippers. The only thing left to do is to apply some rubber paint on the soles so that there will be a bit more friction between the yarn and the floor.
On the website where I found this pattern, the knitter had posted a picture of a dozen different slippers. I think I know why she knitted so many - it's addictive to spend ten or hours an a project and have a complete item of clothing at the end of it. And now that I have needles, I need to find even more things to knit.

3 comments:

de-I said...

Feel free to send on any surplus slippers produced as a result of renewed pastime.

Bernice said...

Do you take orders? Actually I don't need any slippers at the moment. But will keep you in mind. They are quite pretty.

alexis said...

yes, do you do international orders?