Monday, August 12, 2013

Anniversary

Tomorrow would have been my fifth wedding anniversary. As it approached, I had been joking to Andrew that we only had 45 more years to go, because a golden anniversary was our goal. I might even say that the opportunity to celebrate our golden anniversary was why we got married.

I was ready to marry Andrew about a year after we met, but he was much less sure about the whole idea. We spent a number of months discussing marriage, but he just wasn't ready to commit. (To be fair, he was only 22 when I met him, while I was 30.) After about a year of these discussions, in which I was trying (and not really succeeding) to be patient, I came to him one night with the Washington Post where I had been reading the anniversary announcements and told him that I wanted to that to be me - I wanted to celebrate my silver and golden wedding anniversary with him. Something clicked inside him, and he proposed.

That is a nice memory, but tomorrow's going to be a rough day.

5 comments:

de-I said...

Hope you the day was as bearable as possible

Gill - UK said...

When I read your blog I didn't know what to write and then I remembered a phone call Andrew made. He said he was thinking of getting married and asked me what I thought. I told him he needed to be certain because 'you only get married once'.
Unknowingly I gave him the same message as you Renee Michelle.

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself. These anniversary moments are rough. I still feel pings about mine all these years later.... Still sending hugs.

/Heidi

alexis said...

Will remember to send you a note tomorrow. I will try to keep doing so, the milestones are the worst.

jonathan goldstein said...

Very glad you are keeping us posted through this blog, Renee Michelle. Thanks for letting us know what's going on with you. Lots of love!

---Jonathan