Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Last of the 2013 Garden

Last night I picked the last of the garden produce, because I wasn't sure that it would survive the really cold weather coming our way. I'm quite excited about the carrots, because they're the first I've ever grown and they actually look like carrots. (Sometimes homegrown carrots have really funny shapes, if they're not grown in deep, loose soil.)

It is cold, here, like everywhere else in the U.S. I was quite proud of myself that I walked to work and wasn't tempted to drive in. But I shouldn't be too proud - I have an aunt in rural Minnesota who doesn't own a car. You never hear her bragging about how she managed to get to work on her own two feet, because it's what she does every day.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

The carrots will taste better than any you could buy - well done.

de-I said...

We've had great luck over the years just leaving the carrots in the ground even when it got really cold as it has occasionally. The cold weather seems to make the even sweeter.

Gloria said...

I still have some onions in the garden. But that is because I have quite forgotten the garden this year. No carrots were grown this year. I'm so glad your garden was so successful!

alexis said...

I am surprised you still have greens in January!