Monday, January 27, 2014

Teeth

     I had dental surgery on Friday. This was something I had been avoiding for years, even though I didn't know all the details. Every dentist I would visit would simply say, "You should probably see a periodontist." And, of course, when I saw a periodontist, he told me I needed surgery. It didn't involve general anesthesia, but it did use lasers and many, many shots of Novocaine.
     On one hand, I'm grateful for this. I recently learned that my grandmother had dentures for a large part of her adult life, and that's a fate I'd like to avoid. Having teeth is a great convenience, and I'd like to keep them.
     On the other hand (and here I'll just admit that I'm complaining), I didn't know what I was getting into. The actual surgery was quite unpleasant -  I discovered that laughing gas, contrary to its name, makes me cry and shake. I'm eating soft foods for the next two weeks, so I guess this will take care of all that extra applesauce I have in the freezer.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

When I had a soft-food-requiring teeth injury in grade school, I also discovered that it was possible to get sick of vichysoisse for lunch.

Gill - UK said...

Poor you - but the thought of plastic teeth is enough encouragement to be brave.

alexis said...

oh dear! Hopefully they have at least resolved the issue so you won't have to go through it again? I could use your help getting through all my applesauce come to think of it!

Carissa said...

Shawn said "I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience - I can relate!" Here's to eating soft food...

de-I said...

Sounded very unpleasant...especially the bad reaction to the laughing gas!