Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Second-year gardening

This year, somehow, I managed to convince the landlord to give me three garden plots. Last year, several plots went unused. I'm not sure if he thinks that overgrown, unused plots are an eyesore, or if he just knows that I'll appreciate the space, but I was grateful. I was also a little overwhelmed. The 600 square feet of weeds looked a bit intimidating, so I called in reinforcements. My neighbor and friend, C, is an avid gardener who won't be able to have a garden this year. C and her husband helped me weed and dig up all the beds this weekend, and then C and I planted tonight. 

I thought that I'd need to go buy more seeds to fill all this space, but I already have plenty from all my seed-trading with friends. After two and a half hours, we have three-quarters of the garden planted, with only the June planting left. It's amazing to me that I can fill up that much garden.

For those of you who love plants enough to have read this far, here's what is growing in the garden right now:
Daffodils, tulips, and bachelor buttons
Arugula, spinach, and mesculn mix
Broccoli raab and garlic
Radishes and peas

Then, tonight, we planted seedlings:
Lavender and watermelon
Eggplants, tomatoes, and green peppers
Fennel and leeks

And we planted seeds:
Beets and green beans
Hollyhocks, marigolds, asters, and cosmos
Zucchini and cucumbers

Next month there will be lemon grass, sweet potatoes, and edamame, and then the whole plot will be full.

6 comments:

Bernice said...

That makes my gardening efforts pretty anemic. Can't wait to see it and enjoy the produce in your meals.

alexis said...

the cook in me delights in this list of growing goodies!

de-I said...

Me too!

Because we're planning on redoing our back yard this summer, there will be no garden which is very sad >(

Gill - UK said...

I shall have to look up some of your plantings - I probably know them by a different name.
You will be able to cut your own fresh flowers as well as growing your own food.

Carissa said...

You have an awesome garden this year!

Pulisha said...

That's amazing. Post pictures when they start to grow!