Sunday, December 07, 2014

Prettying things up

Earlier this year, my friends R&B stopped by for a quick visit. They were on their way to France, and they had arranged a 10-hour layover in DC. Because of they had taken an early flight to DC, B was pretty tired and I offered my bedroom for a nap. At that point I looked around my bedroom and saw it through someone else's eyes. I wasn't too impressed. I use my bedroom for storage, and it looked a little bit like a warehouse. Evidence: 
The bed is lofted a bit for extra storage. The "accent wall" was painted yellow by a previous tenant. The cat's food cabinet is stacked on top of the dog's crate.
The corner shelf, more fitting for a garage, stores all the power tools. The curtains are beige and ripped: I bought them to wrap around furniture when moving to DC, and then temporarily-for-a-year hung them in my bedroom.
     With all my other projects, it took me a few months to get to this, but my bedroom is finally presentable. Evidence:
 I bought pillows, a duvet cover, and fabric from the thrift store, made a bed skirt, and painted the bed frame gold. (Ignore the crazy blue lights - those are Christmas lights.) The landlord had the yellow wall repainted the same white as the rest of the house.
 The cat is more or less permanently installed on the bed. Now that it looks like a bit of a princess bed, I think she finally feels she has found surroundings befitting her.

The tool shelf is clad in curtains. Building the frame for the curtains was the first wood-working project I've done all by myself. I'm quite pleased with it, even if I can't shake the vague feeling that it will all come tumbling down due to poor construction techniques.

6 comments:

de-I said...

Oooo looks like something from the Home Improvement Network :)

Gill - UK said...

Impressive - the curtaining around the tool store is really a room changer - it's looking good.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Yes, but the Home Improvement Network would have employed a better photographer :)

alexis said...

confidence woman!! Be sure in the skills you have painfully acquired to get all that wood working knowledge.

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/04/the-confidence-gap/359815/

Bernice said...

Wow! It looks great.

Bernice said...

I am impressed and I am sure with your antithetical mind the woodworking is more than adequate to do the job.

Dad