Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Birdsong

     As I've mentioned before, I sit out on my front porch every mooring and drink my coffee. It's finally warmed up enough that the cat doesn't have to snuggle inside my coat while sitting on my lap.
     The house sparrows that nest in the porch eaves every year returned at least a month ago. Their chirping wakes me, and that's a nice kind of alarm clock. I think that mating season must have kicked up a notch recently, because today it's so loud that I feel like I'm sitting in an aviary and I'm starting to think about whether I need earplugs.
     I'm awfully glad that I don't own this house, because then I'd worry about all the damage that a dozen nesting pairs of birds can do to the eaves. As it is, I can just enjoy the sincere, somewhat raucous, sounds of nature.

4 comments:

de-I said...

For us its all about the doves. A few seasons of doves and you want to take up bird hunting.

alexis said...

we have no windows in our bedroom - the only sounds that wake us up are ones of our own creation. :)

Gill - UK said...

Are you sure they are Sparrows?
After all - the sound of the train whistles do not disturb you.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

A neighbor identified them as house sparrows. But I reiterate - I like them even when they are loud. And they can never be as loud as trains.