Thursday, April 09, 2015

Trains

     The train tracks that run in front of my house are used by both freight and passenger trains. It's a disappointment to me that I have never yet traveled on one of the passenger trains. It's a commuter line between DC and Baltimore, but it only runs weekdays (and only during commuting times). Since my workplace is a mile away, I have never contrived an excuse to take a ride into DC on the train.
     I have managed to learn a bit about trains, simply by watching. One highlight is when the circus train drives in. I've only seen it in the evening, but you can see all the individual living quarters, flat cars with trucks and cars, and even a bus used for local transportation. (Unfortunately, they also still use animals in the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus, but I haven't see those.)
     This week I saw something new - a gravel train. I'm not sure what it's actually called, but it was a small train, traveling very slowly. There were cars full of gravel, and a huge conveyor belt lifting the gravel 20 feet above the tracks to another device which seemed to spread it next to the tracks. It was far louder than a regular train, what with all the pouring stone. Wikipedia explains that this gravel is called track ballast and what it does, but I can't find a picture of the type of train.
    I need to make friends with some train nerds so they can teach me more about this stuff.

4 comments:

de-I said...

Sorry, no help on this end. We're all into shipping at the moment :)

Gill - UK said...

I never realised there was so much variety.

alexis said...

oh my goodness, Munchkin would LOVE your house for this reason. She loves trains!

Florin Lung said...

I suffer from this disease, as I got it from my dad who used to work as train engineer. I can't make myself to drive, but I am generally not letting any opportunity let go when it comes to taking the train. During my eight years spent near Clemson I took the train quite a few times. Mostly to Atlanta, but also to the north. Yes, I went both to DC and Baltimore train stations. I wish they'd reopen the local line. Oh well, until then I am the most reliable local bus passenger.