Sunday, June 21, 2015

Dinner Parties

     If you throw a dinner party well, you will have happy, well-fed friends, and (once they have gone home) you will have a thoroughly cleaned house and delicious leftovers. Thus, I am now enjoying the comfortable feeling of possessing enough ratatouille, cherry clafoutis, and vanilla bean custard ice cream to see me through the start of the week.
     I don't throw as many dinner parties as I once did. In part this is because it takes time in a new place to make enough friends who you can invite over. But is also rather more complicated now that I am single. When I was married, I did the cooking and my husband did the cleaning. This meant that I could throw a dinner together in a few hours. Now, it's all on my to-do list, so I started early in the morning to clean and tidy the house, bathe the dog, arrange flowers and set the table, and then cook three courses. It's worth it at the end, though, to see happy people having fun. And to have that leftover ice cream, of course.

2 comments:

alexis said...

I sense the guests also help to tidy up afterwards? That is always nice too!

de-I said...

You're right about that division of jobs. I doubt I would entertain much without Wife. Or I'd entertain in a house that wasn't pristine.