Sunday, August 23, 2015

Done!

     Today I am happy to announce the completion of my longest project to date: a project that took seventeen months to complete. To wit, we took an old 1942 Philco radio, the kind with radio tubes that had lived in someone's dusty barn for a while, and turned it into this beautiful piece of furniture.

 And it does something even better than play music now - it holds liquor!
I didn't work on this continuously for a year and a half, but there were a lot of steps. Step 1: My father gives me the radio. He helps me rip out the inside and then I haul it from Ohio to Maryland. Step 2: Nick and I make shelves for it. Step 3: Nick and I determine that we cannot make or buy the complicated hinges we'll need. Step 4: I haul it back to Ohio. Step 5: My father spends a huge amount of time making the lovely black hinges you see above. The door alone weighs 10 pounds, and has to mounted on a veneer (i.e. very thin) curved wood surface, requiring some sophisticated engineering. My father tells me this is my Christmas gift. Step 6: He brings the radio to Maryland. Step 7: Nick and I adjust the shelves to account for the hinges, I paint the inside and attach a back to keep my glasses and bottles dust free. Step 8: I spend almost the entire weekend refinishing the faceplate, which is hinged and can be lifted to store shot glasses. Step 9: I drink.
   

8 comments:

Carissa said...

impressive!

de-I said...

That looks totally awesome. However I think your Father has way underestimated the dollar value of his time and this should be also your birthday present and the Christmas present after that :)

Though I know you are a great believer in getting rid of things cluttering your life, adding beauty that will be with you always is a good thing too.

Nicholas said...

That looks great! I even think that it was good that it took so long. You have invested time into it and now it has a story. I want to replace everything in my house with items like that. I don't think I ever regret a very long project (after it is done). Would you have done it faster if you could have?

PS
I just proved I was not a robot with a reCAPTCHA that said "Choose all pictures that are of doughnuts" There was one clear picture out of nine that had doughnuts. I clicked verify and it said "Choose all pictures that match" There was one picture that was clearly of bagels. It would only verify if conceded that bagels were doughnuts...

PPS
I just did it again, and now I took a picture of it as proof. It would only verify if I agreed that a picture that was obviously lettuce, was cabbage... would robots fair better?

Gill - UK said...

That's too good to keep to yourself - you need a party, or perhaps a more sedate gathering, so that your handiwork can be admired. And if you ever decide to sell it, I think you will have buyers queueing.

adventures and misadventures abroad said...

Fantastic - great job!

alexis said...

OMG, that is so freaking amazing! What a great amount of team work and patience. I can't wait to see it in person!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

A friend just looked at it in person and his first comment was, "Oh, there's room for a lot more alcohol in here!" I guess I'd better start buying liquor...

Gill - UK said...

More liquor! Is that a large bottle of absinthe in central position?